The FX6 Full-Frame Camera from Sony was developed to offer versatile, cine-style imaging in a truly compact form. With the ability to capture up to 15+ stops of dynamic range, Sony’s S-Cinetone gamma for filmlike skin tones, and up to 10-bit, 4:2:2 XAVC-I recording, the FX6 is poised to both supplement your FX9 or VENICE capture and to nimbly take on documentary, gimbal, and drone shoots on its own. The FX6 camera combines a 4K full-frame Exmor R sensor with a BIONX XR engine for extremely sensitive capture in a range of settings using a base ISO of 800 as well as an ISO 12800 high-sensitivity mode for nuanced low-light scenes.
Weighing just under 2 lb, the FX6 body is a full 2 lb lighter than the FX9 and measuring 6 x 4.6″, it packs a full-frame sensor into a body comparable to the S35-sensor Sony FS5. While the FX6 fits seamlessly into a pro-cine on-set workflow, it also offers several features that are a boon for a single-operator user. These include fast and accurate phase-detection autofocus with both Face Detection and real-time Eye autofocus, both auto and manual ND filter settings for quick exposure compensation, and a 3.5″ LCD monitor that boasts timesaving touchscreen access to key menu settings and versatile positioning for comfortable operating.
Versatile Addition to Sony Cinema Line
As part of Sony’s Cinema Line, the FX6 shares key imaging features with established cameras like the VENICE and FX9. Common core attributes include a full-frame sensor, filmlike color science, a compact, lightweight form, professional connector interfaces, and advanced autofocus choices.
Compared to the FX9, the FX6 differs in several specs; but many FX6 specs tick the same boxes and several improve upon the FX9:
- It matches the FX9’s video capture up to DCI 4K60
- Has the same S-Cinetone, S-Log3, and HLG gamma choices
- Outputs 16-bit raw like the FX9
- Sony E lens mount
- Offers the same 1/4 to 1/128 ND options
- Also provides 2-channel XLR audio inputs
FX6 differences from the FX9:
- 4K capture vs 6K
- Has a single 12G/6G/3G-SDI BNC port, trimming the FX9’s additional 3G-SDI port
- Incorporates a timecode port but lacks the FX9’s genlock connector
Improved FX6 specs include:
- An ISO range of 320 to 409,600 vs the FX9’s 320 to 102,400 range
- Top frame rates of 120p in 4K and up to 240p in HD vs the FX9’s top 1080p in HD
- Dual card slots compatible with both durable, highly efficient CFexpress Type A or widely available SDXC cards, compared to the FX9’s reliance on proprietary XQD cards and a single SD card option